If you have a website, you have probably at least heard about the term SEO. Today we will dive into why SEO is important and how to get high performance from your blog posts and website pages.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. In a really simplified statement, this is how you tell Google, Bing, and other Search Engines what your page or article is all about.
Many factors go into optimizing your articles and pages for SEO. However, there are a few that are more important than others.
- Some of the most important SEO factors:
- Page speed
- Mobile Responsiveness
- Links (Internal and External)
- Length of page/article
- Use of Mixed Media
Many of these factors have to do with the user experience. When people land on your page, they don’t want to wait a thousand years (ok, maybe they won’t wait that long, but even a few minutes is too much) for your page to load.
Given that most people are using their phones to navigate the world, your theme/website needs to be set up to shift and change based on the mobile phone it’s being displayed on.
Why SEO is Important
When you are writing content getting the search engines to index it is important. Indexing means they are ranking your content when someone searches a phrase (Known as a Keyword) that is in your content.
The higher you rank for particular keywords and phrases the more likely someone will click on your content. You want people to click on your content because it’s basically free advertising. Indexing gets people onto your website.
If you can get an article to rank in the top 3 positions in a google search, it’s highly likely someone searching for that keyword will click on your article and read your content. If you have someone reading your content, they are more likely to opt into your lead magnet. Then, BAMB! You have a new potential client.
Using the same or similar keywords a few times throughout your article will help tell the search engine what your content is all about. However, you don’t ant to try to put your keyword into every paragraph either. Keyword stuffing can be detected and will pull you out of the indexing you want.
Getting free visitors and potential new customers is why SEO is important. Search Engine Optimization can lead to exponential growth and new customers. Using SEO for your content costs you nothing!
Learning how to use tools to get the best keywords will help you get the best results for SEO. My favorite tool is Ubersuggest which does a great job helping you understand which items are being searched and the volume.
Here are some of the things you can spend just a few minutes on that will drastically improve your SEO performance.
- Understand your marketing strategy
- Set Business Goals and Priorities
- Ensure you understand how to use Google Analytics – Google does a good job explaining how to use their site through their University.
- Learn what keywords will rank best – Keywords help ensure you are ranking for the right things and help you understand what you can use to drive traffic to your site.
- Capitalize on posts and pages that perform well – You can do this by ensuring you lead people to other content, offer ways to get them on your email list, or put strategically placed offers on the page.
- Track your Metrics – Knowing what you are working on and improving is important in all aspects of the business.
- Optimize your Images – If you aren’t filling out and optimizing your images, you leave SEO power on the table.
- Take advantage of clean URLs and Metadata – by having easy-to-understand categorization, tagging and metadata, the search engines will better understand your content and rank for those keywords.
Once you have mastered keywords coming up with ideas and article content will come easier. Then, you need to explore your metrics and what is and isn’t working for your business. Don’t get caught up in using vanity metrics instead make sure you know what to look for.
Wrapping up SEO
Hopefully, after reading this article, you now realize why SEO is important and how you can get high performance using it. Search Engine Optimization is one of a few FREE ways you can market and promote your content.
Use those keywords to help you maximize your reach. Match up the use of Keywords and Power Words, and you will have a winning combination!
Get my easy-to-read, exclusive printable with all our suggested power words. You are sure to love it and will want to refer to it in the future. Use it for creating graphics, content, sales pages, or engaging customers.